Total Pageviews

Thursday, 28 April 2011

Getting Ready

Here we are, April 28th and waiting for the weather to improve.  Training has been tough this last while with constant spring storms.  We know things will improve though and Anne is able to get some rides in, between storms.  The rides may only be an hour or two long, but it is time on the bike and we are glad she is getting the time when breaks in the weather occur.

We have gotten the trailer out of storeage and now I can= de-winterize it.  The good thing about all the rain is that it will wash most of the dust off that accumulated on the trailer over the winter in the shed.  We will leave the trailer in Dresden for a couple of more weeks, and then bring it to Blenheim.  Then the process of packing and storing our gear will begin.  We have also begun, the process of fine tuning our route with maps of each province, bicycle path routes of Vancouver and Calgary and all of these fun things. 

Time is winding down, with just 32 days till the adventure begins.  Take Care and we will update soon.

Friday, 22 April 2011

Time Marches On

     Well here it is Good Friday, 2011 and we are still hoping for some warmer weather.  The prediction is that next week the temperatures will improve but lots of rain in the forecast.  Anne is getting riding time in, but of course not only is it bicycle training, it is training to dress for the weather.  Always something to learn, but a good time to learn all the tricks, because we are sure we will hit all types of weather in our adventure.
     Preparations are going along.  Monday is, "Get the trailer out of storeage day" because the farm where it is stowed for the winter, will be getting farm machinery ready and the trailer is in the way.  The trailer will sit at the farm for a couple of more weeks, but I will get it cleaned up and ready to bring to Blenheim in a few weeks.  Then the packing of the trailer will begin.
     So friends, not much else to report at this time, but we are anxious and looking forward to the end of May to get started.

Thursday, 14 April 2011

6 weeks till the adventure begins

Hello Everyone,  Only 6 weeks left, until the adventure begins.  The spring weather continues to be cool, but Anne is getting quite a bit of riding in.  She is averaging 2 hours a day, with rides to Chatham and back taking various routes depending on the head winds.  She is also getting a small taste of hills compared to Texas where it was just flat and windy.  We continue to prepare our packing for the trailer, trying to limit ourselves to necessary items only.

Hope everyone is having a great day and we will update again soon.

Friday, 8 April 2011


The weather has not been cooperating for Anne and her training but she is getting some bike time.  Yesterday, 07April2011, We both went for a 25k ride.  About half way through the fog dropped in and the ride became a little risky, but a breeze came up and we managed to finish the ride.

Today, Anne and I had some errands to do in St. Thomas, Ontario so we took Anne's bike with us to St. Thomas.  Well at about 345pm Anne finally got to set off for Blenheim.  Forty kilometers later, just west of  Wallacetown, I caught up with Anne.  She was literally half way to Blenheim, but the weather was turning sour, it had been overcast all day, the temperatures were dropping and dark conditions were setting in.  So I managed to pursuade her to call it a day, and do the complete ride another day.  So the training is continuing, and plans go ahead.

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

Lousy Riding Weather

Today, 6th April, 2011 I awoke to cloudy skys, but before I could have breakfast and get ready to head to St. Thomas/Pt. Stanley with Brian the rain and wet snow began.  So I decided today was a day not to ride.  I have a ride planned tomorrow, the weather outlook is much better.  Brian and I have to go to Pain Court, Ontario.  Then we are attending the funeral home in North Chatham, and I will take the ride home on my bicycle from there.  I will take a round about route, which should be about 30K.  (let's hope the weather cooperates.

Tuesday, 5 April 2011


Wow, what a change from the south.  Here it is April 5th, and it is only 2 degrees Celcius.  Having to wear alot more clothes for bicycling.  Brian and I have also been getting in some 2 hour walks to keep legs in shape.  Tomorrow, I am planning a ride from Pt. Stanley to Blenheim if the weather cooperates. 

Friday, 1 April 2011


Well, I have been training for 3 months now, on Galveston Island, Texas.  I have been there since January 1, 2011 and experienced cold, and hot weather, lots of wind and a beautiful Island to get some cycling time in.  What the island lacked in hills, the wind provided lots of resistance.  As of 01April, 2011 I am home in Blenheim, Ontario to continue training and get ready for our adventure which begins on or about 30 May, 2011.

My husband is going to handle the logistics of the trip, while following in our airstream trailer.  He will have our long haired Dachshund with him.

Brian will keep a daily log of our activities, but we do not expect to have internet access every day, so he will update the blog, often whenever he has internet access.