Total Pageviews

Saturday 18 June 2011

Day 10, 17Jun2011

After spending a good part of yesterday at Canyon Hot Springs, soaking in the Mineral Water Pool and just relaxing, Anne faced a tough day.
We awoke to clouds and 12C but no rain, so Anne decided to push on.  It is a 33km uphill ride from Canyon Hot Springs to the Summit of Rogers Pass and that was the main goal for the day.  I managed to get Anne on her way at 8:25Am while I finished up getting the trailer ready to go.  After about 17 km I pulled the trailer over on the side of the road to wait for Anne to clear a couple of snowsheds.  While waiting for Anne, I noticed a black bear on the far side of the river strolling along.  The bear avoided going into a train tunnel, and began to cross a band of snow.  I managed to snap a few pictures from quite a distance.
After 22km, I was pulled over in an area of Rogers Pass waiting for Anne to go by again, when I looked to my right and saw a small train junction called ROSS PEAK.  So I got out of my car, and snapped a picture to forward to my Aunt Alta. 
At 1054, Mountain Pacific Time, Anne reached the summit of Rogers Pass at 1330metres high.  It was a very emotional point for both of us.  Also at the summit is a monument that signifies the opening of the Trans Canada Highway.  The TCH was opened on 03Sep1962 by John Diefenbaker.
Anne cycled another 11 km and we broke for lunch.  She continued on, but it began to rain, so after 70 km we called it a day.  Camp was set up in a pull off on the highway on the north side, 40 km west of Golden BC.

You can see the bear, just to the right of the rock path on the snow.  He was a long ways away.

No comments:

Post a Comment