Total Pageviews

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Day 13 June 20th, 2011 (Monday) Lake Louise to Banff, Alberta

It was just a beautiful day as I set off from the Lake Louise Campground.  I headed down the Bow Valley Parkway (Highway 1A).  No trucks are allowed on this roadway and there was hardly any traffic at all.  The speed limit was 60 km/hr.  The trees come right up to the roadway and the mountains are all around me.  (I am on full bear alert!!)  At one point, I had to put on my rain jacket as it had started to rain.  I felt like “Little Red Riding Hood”.  The rain soon cleared and the sun came out.  The climbs were not too steep and the downhills were frequent.  About half way through my ride, I was joined by another cyclist, Adam.  He is visiting Canada from Melbourne, Australia, with his wife and 3 children.  We came upon 3 elk grazing at the side of the road and further on down, there was a group of long horn sheep, huddled under a bridge.  I completed 61 km today.  Brian and I set up camp in the Tunnel Mountain Campground.  We enjoyed looking around Banff this afternoon.  Very trendy! 
P.S. Just after midnight, I peeked out the window and saw 3 elk grazing by our trailer! One of them had a (radio) collar on.  To Miss Blythe’s school children, Trent and Kenzie, Logan and Mia.....I wondered if the one with the collar was one of Santa’s helpers??



No comments:

Post a Comment