Total Pageviews

Monday 13 June 2011

Day 5-Merritt to Pritchard, B.C. June 12, 2011

I was on the road by 8:20 a.m.  I departed Merritt via Highway 5A.  This will go down as my favourite day and my worst day...so far!  The day started out so perfect.  Beautiful, sunny weather and gently rolling landscape, framed by the Rockie Mountains.  Traffic was light.  I soon came upon Nicola Lake.  It was like glass and the lone canoeist, I saw was obviously enjoying the same scenery I was.  The Village of Nicola, had high water in a park.  Eventually, I came to Stump Lake and then Trapp Lake.  I was fortunate to see Bald Eagles, Baltimore Orioles, 2 deer and butterfly bushes loaded with butterflys.  I was 19 km south of Kamloops, when I started an uphill climb that would stretch for 4 1/2 km.  On the other side of the climb was a 9% grade descent.  Brian was waiting for me on the outskirts of Kamloops with a hot bowl of soup ready to go.  I had already consumed some fruit and granola bars and 4 bottles of water!
I had made up my mind to push the limits and press on to Pritchard.  I turned on to the Trans Canada Highway in the middle of Kamloops and what a ride.  It was all downhill.  My hands went numb clutching the brakes, trying to stay in control of my bike.  As I cleared the city, the skys darkened and the rain started.  I arrived in Pritchard soaking wet and TIRED.  I had riden 133 km.  We camped at the Ponderosa Campground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment