Total Pageviews

Monday 27 June 2011

Day 17 June 24th, 2011 (Friday) Drumheller, Alberta to Hanna, Alberta

Brian and I “camped” in an R.V. parking lot across the road from Canadian Tire.  We had an appointment to get the oil changed first thing this morning.  Brian is a stickler for vehicle maintenance, especially with the load the Rav4 is hauling.  I set off at 8:40 a.m. knowing Brian would be at least 2 hours behind me.  I also knew that he would be babysitting the service manager, glancing at his watch!  I set off through the city, crossing the Red Deer River.  After a super downhill ride into Drumheller yesterday, I knew I was probably going to have to climb out.  I wasn’t disappointed.  It was a steep 5 km climb out of the city on Highway 9 East.  Highway 9 East actually goes due north for 20 km, before making a 90 degree turn.  It was a perfect day weather wise.  Clear, blue skies and 16 degrees.  After turning east, (staying on Hwy 9) the pavement quality improved and a nice, wide shoulder was available.  Some of the pasture land was under water and ducks had made nests in the “lakes”.  Some of the ducks did that running on water thing, squawking at me to move on.  Others stood at attention on their nests, giving me the evil eye.  Brian caught up with me 2.5 hours later.  We arrived at Hanna, Alberta around lunch time.  Hanna, Alberta’s claim to fame is the home of Nickleback.  We are told Chad Kruger (sp?) and another band member, were born and raised here.  Brian and I set up camp along the side of Hwy 9 and cycled into Hanna, to look around.  It is a very friendly, small town.



No comments:

Post a Comment