Total Pageviews

Monday 27 June 2011

Day 19 - 26 June, 2011 (Sunday) Youngstown, Alberta to Alsask, SASKATCHEWAN

It started raining at about 3 a.m. and the wind was howling around the trailer.  By 9:20 a.m. the rain had stopped and the wind had decreased somewhat, so off I went.  Highway 9 looked like a ribbon of highway that followed a straight line into the horizon.  The roadway was flat until I reached the community of Cereal and then the hills started, but the winds were prevailing out of the Northwest, nudging me along.  Deep fissures in the road made for a bumpy ride and the shoulders of the road were rough.  I stayed primarily on the right side of the lane.  There was hardly any traffic.....just an occasional Airstream, that I played leapfrog with.  After 55 km, I met Brian at the side of the road near Oyen and we had lunch.  After the break, I decided to make “a run for the border!”  Only 37 km to go.    After Oyen the shoulder opened up nicely and was smoother.  The wind had picked up and blowing from the north, so I had to really hang on to the handlebars.  Oncoming trucks delivered a punch of air, strong enough to bend my helmet mirror back.  Still I was happy the wind was not blowing into my face.   Brian was waiting for me at the “Saskatchewan Naturally” Provincial border sign.  We stopped at a rest/camp area in Alsask for the night.  Total ride 92 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment