Total Pageviews

Wednesday, 31 August 2011

The Conclusion 24August, 2011 thru 29Aug, 2011-08-31

Well, after yesterday the final leg of our adventure is beginning.  First though I need to say how proud I am of Anne completing her quest.  I had no doubt in my mind when this all began, that she would, and she did.  Way to go sweetheart.
After all was done yesterday, we headed for a small town known as Baddeck, Nova Scotia where we camped at Ventures East Campground.  So after a good nights’ rest, we got up to another beautiful day and took off on a tour of the Cabot Trail.  This time, Anne was driving the Toyota while Flo and the trailer were left behind.  The day long trip around the Cabot Trail was certainly worth it, the scenery was amazing.
We arrived back at the campgrounds around 430pm and decided we should go out for supper at “Baddecks Lobster Supper” Restaurant .  This was a different experience but one I personally loved.  Upon entering the restaurant you choose which main course you would like, only three choices, lobster, steak or planked salmon.  Prices range from 29.00 to 35.00 per meal.  Now that you have made that choice you are seated and the fun begins.  Unlimited fresh bread and rolls, chowder, mussels, salads, desserts and non-alcoholic beverages come with this meal.  Yes unlimited everything except the main course.  Wow what a deal!  After a very enjoyable supper Anne and I took a walk down to the Marina, where we met and visited with a couple from Puce, Ontario.
On the 25th, Anne and I decided to head to Truro, Nova Scotia for the day.  Anne spent a relaxing afternoon in the trailer, while I played 18 holes of golf at River Run Golf Course at 922 West North River Rd. North River, N.S. (on the edge of Truro)  We spent the night in a large lot in Truro.
On the 26th, prior to leaving Truro, N.S., we got the oil changed in the Rav4, at the Canadian Tire.  Then it was on the road for Moncton, N.B. to visit with Randy and Sue.  We arrived early afternoon at Randy and Sue’s and the visit began.  Always great to visit with friends, and this was no exception.  Sassy was so excited to have a house to move around in.  I think she hated to leave.  The four of us went to a great Restaurant in Shediac called the Greenhouse and had a great meal.  We went back to Randy and Sue’s for dessert. Sue had made a wonderful, cake/pie in celebration of Anne’s Ride.
On the 27th, the first thing we did was check on the progress of Hurricane Irene.  In Moncton the skies were clear and blue, barely a breeze.  The weather channel indicated that Irene should not arrive in the area until 2am Monday morning, so the decision is made to stay, as originally planned and leave Sunday morning.  Randy and I took off for golf, leaving the girls alone to enjoy talk and shopping.  The girls also shopped for supper.  Randy and Sue put on a fantastic supper, way too much to eat, (sliders, scallops, mussels, shrimp, mashed potatoes, green beans)  Thanks Randy and Sue.  We relaxed and just enjoyed the rest of the evening talking and laughing.
August 28th, we were up at 6am and on the road by 7am.  The weather channel was still saying that we could expect Hurricane Irene’s arrival in Quebec and the Maritimes late Sunday night, early Monday morning.  So we took off hoping to get west of Montreal today.  However Irene began moving over the land quicker than expected.  By the time we had reached Beaumont, Que (just east of Quebec City)  the weather situation was declining rapidly and the trailer was bouncing in the wind on the highway.  Anne pulled off the Highway by a petro Can gas station.  We filled the car up with gas, and in the large lot beside the Petro-Can we pulled the vehicle and trailer into position facing the wind.  I got out and locked the levellers into place and into the trailer we went to ride out the storm.  Lots of wind and rain, at one point I took Sassy out for her business and she was blown off the steps of the trailer.  The storm raged on throughout most of the night, but by morning the skies were clearing.
August 29th, 2011 we were on the road by 7am determined to make this our last day on the road.  1082 km later, 16 hours after beginning our day on the road, we arrived in Blenheim bringing us to the conclusion of our adventure which had begun on May 30th, 2011.
Anne rode her bicycle 6530 km from Vancouver B.C to Sydney N.S., Our total travel distance from the time we left until we got home we covered 14,542 km.
In conclusion, again Anne, I am so proud of you.  You did it, some days it was difficult, but you just kept going and did a fantastic job.
I also would like to thank, Blythe, Drew and Kate, Bo and Meli, and Rodrigue for all of their support, throughout this trip.  It was a great help.
To all our friends, old and new, who also supported us along this adventure.  Your texts, emails and phone calls were great support.  The kindness of people we met along the way was great for the soul.  Yes, there are many great Canadians out there.  Thank-you to everyone.



Cake for Mum
Love Blythe

No comments:

Post a Comment