Total Pageviews

Wednesday 3 August 2011

Day 57 – 03 August, 2011 – Kaladar, Ontario to Carlton Place, Ontario

As the sun rose out of the east, it was a beautiful sunrise shortly after 6 a.m. but looking to the west, it was looking like rain.  I got an early start hoping to stay dry! The road condition was horrible from Kaladar to Sharbot Lake.  The pavement was full of potholes and crumbling.  It took me 2 hours to peddle those 40 km.  After Sharbot Lake, the road was freshly paved to Maberly.  During that stretch, a fox crossed the road in front of me and we stopped to look at each other.  The fox didn’t look sick and took off into the underbrush.  Brian saw a small deer drinking from a lake.  It was very pretty and I was struck, but how much the area was reminiscent of  Northern Ontario. (Our poor Ontario map is looking pretty tattered these days.  It has basically been laminated by scotch tape!) After Maberly, the asphalt wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t great either.  I think Brian could tell that I was running out of steam.  He stopped and picked up a western sandwich and shared it with me, during a stop.    At Wemyss, their was fresh pavement all the way to Perth.  We stopped at Wendy’s in Perth and had lunch.  Traffic picked up after lunch as did a headwind, but the rain held off.  When I looked ahead, it was almost sunny but in my rear view mirror, I kept an eye on storm clouds.  We pulled into Tranquil Acres Campground at 1:30 p.m.  It is situated on the Mississippi River and Brian was happy to get out his fishing gear! Total today, 115 km.

Lanark Cty. Bullfrog


Fishing along Mississippi

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like hard slogging on Ontarios crappy roads Anne, love the photos Brian. Keep up the good work guys. Jug and Betty

    ReplyDelete